Monday, April 27, 2015

Right Now -Sewing a Capsule Wardrobe

I read all of my blog entries up until this point.... My life has changed ALOT since the first one.
I have moved - a few times. I have changed jobs - a few times. I am in a different place mentally, emotionally and physically. It's interesting what can happen in a few years.

I want to start from right now.
Right now I am 7 days from my 30ish birthday. I want to change myself. By change I really mean get back to being who I am and not what others expected me to be, or not to be. It's a lot harder than most may think. It's a journey to shed layers of guilt brought on by others ideas of yourself and not meeting their standards of you.

One of my steps on this journey is changing my wardrobe.
Right now I am in a good place to do this. None of my clothes fit, (save the few tops and leggings I bought at walmart right after Christmas).
We're about a month away from the change in seasons. I actually have a designated sewing area. For me that means a great time to overhaul my style and simplify my closet.

I don't remember where I first heard about capsule wardrobes. But I do remember finding #Unfancy on #Pinterest and her explanation of a capsule wardrobe was easy to understand. I decided to jump right in and start with a summer work wardrobe capsule as my first one, because... you really shouldn't wear leggings and a tunic to work -- in an office building-- even if no one on the phone is going to see you. They even wrote a new policy on work attire - not because me, but still...

So at work one day I decided to start planning for my capsule. Yeah I know I should probably work while at work but you'd be surprised what you can get done waiting for people to answer the phone or not all day.

First I came up with the colors I wanted to wear then kind of filled in what colors should be which pieces clothing as I went along. I was shopping in my head while putting this together and once you pick out the bottom pieces it's fun to mix and match tops in your head. I think it helps to look at your #Pinterest style board either before or while you do this because it gives you a since of your own style.


Next I sat down with my mountain of patterns...


Because I plan to make my clothes I think this was one of the hardest parts for me.  As a seamstress I have found that most people have a hard time deciding what they want when they can have anything they can imagine. I am no exception. I pulled out summer patterns from my stash that kind of resembled what I saw in my head or were at least work appropriate, and sat at my desk at work and made decisions on which patterns would be what colors etc.


Now, I have a fabric hoard stash to pull from. However anything that I want but don't have, I'll either chose a substitute or scavenged the clearance fabric at the fabric stores. Stay tuned to see how this turns out. I think this is a good opportunity to stretch my sewing muscle while making ME happy...
Let me know if you'd like to see a detailed list with links to the patterns I chose. I do plan to go over each pattern as I make it.
Peace, Love and Hugs,
 Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment